How to get installation disks
Windows startup disaster recovery disks
Free hard disk recovery
Compaq Recovery disk software
Reduce data recovery costs-easy 3 step approach
Data recovery locations
Questions to ask the data recovery vendor
Outsourcing data recovery tips
Easy Disk recovery using startup disks
Floppy disk recovery techniques
Free hard disk recovery software
Hard disk data recovery tools
HP recovery disk software
Raid disk recovery reviews
Reviews of tape data recovery, typical tape problems, tape recovery methods,tape recovery softwareSponsored Links
Reviews of four typical tape data recovery problems
- Tape data recovery problems due to sequential access
Every data storage device has some disadvantage, the key disadvantage of tape data storage is the sequential access of tape devices. If there is a problem in a particular segment of the tape, all subsequent parts of the tape become inaccessible and tape data recovery needs to be done to recover the lost tape data
- Tape data recovery made necessary due to natural disasters such as floods or hurricanes.
Recently, there was a huge clamor for tape data recovery due to the Katrina and Rita hurricane disasters damaged an incredible number of tapes and tape drives in data centers
Tape data recovery was necessitated since the seepage of water caused tapes to be physically damaged due to corrosion. Also, any access to corroded tapes would damage the tape drives, further exacerbating the tape data recovery problems and leading to 'Read Error' or 'Read Failure' messages.
- Tape data recovery needed to overwriting of recorded tapes
Imagine the tape data recovery scenario that happens every day in data centers.
Classic tape overwriting needing tape data recovery :You have mission critical data recorded in a tape. Due to working long hours, you start recording some other data into the same tape. Ouch! You realize your mistake but the tape recorder has already put a 'End Of File' record onto the tape, so that you are unable to access even the data that has not been overwritten.
- Tape data recovery needed due to tape drive tracking problems
Tape drive tracking problems are caused by wrong alignment of tape heads or damage to tape system areas,necessitating tape data recovery.
Tape data recovery : Three Classic good practices for tape data care
- Tape data recovery Advice 1: Use write protect to prevent overwriting of tape data
- Tape data recovery Advice 2: Carefully choose the tape backup
- Choose a tape backup area that is well protected from damage, moisture
- Use offsite tape backups using procedures such as data replication to store tape backups in alternate disaster recovery locations
- Have tape backups in multiple formats , catalogue the tape backups effectively and store them in multiple secure locations!
- Tape data recovery Advice 3: Have a tape backup audit policy
Just because some automated script backs up your tape regularly doesnt mean that your tape data recovery is done. Have regular tape integrity audits done that include manual procedures apart from automated checks involving tape backup logs.
Popular tape data backup and tape data recovery software
- One of the best software for tape data backup and recovery : Backup Exec by Seagate
- Another popular software for tape data backup and recovery : Arcserve by Computer Associates.
The bottomline for tape data recovery
Tape data backups and tape data recovery are used widely due to the lower costs, however tape data backups tend to sensitive and call for careful handing and the use of a professional tape data recovery vendor is advised.
In view of the Katrina disaster , have you formulated your data center disaster recovery strategy yet?