Intrusion detection reviews for network security
Your Internet network security policies-Time for a rewrite
Honeypot intrusion detection techniques-The Trojans trap the Greeks
McAfee Firewall reviews
Norton personal firewall reviews
Sygate Personal firewall reviews
Why use personal firewalls?The basics
Intrusion detection reviews for networking security
What is intrusion detection and how does it aid networking security?Sponsored Links
Intrusion detection is the science of detection of malicious activity on a computer network and the basic driver for networking security. Intrusion detection for networking security could be classified into two parts :
- Internal intrusion detection: Misuse or malicious activity compromising networking security from within the computer network (typically internal organizational fraud)
- External intrusion detection: Hacker or cracker attacks from outside the computer network compromising networking security that require external intrusion detection
Typical intrusion detection methods
- Out of the ordinary exceptional or anamalous intrusion detection: This intrusion detection method relies on checking for any new or strange access in the computer network. (also known as behavior based intrusion detection for networking security)
- Intrusion detection based on past patterns of intrusions: There are some standard patterns of intrusion into computer networks and pattern based intrusion detection relies on checking if some of these intrusion patterns are repeated on computer networks (also known as knowledge based intrusion detection for networking security)
If you have limited qualified intrusion detection staff , then knowledge based intrusion detection systems are better than behavior based intrusion detection systems for networking security, since the number of false alarms is less in knowledge based intrusion systems.
Intrusion detection for networking security can be further classified into
- Host based intrusion detection methods for networking security
Host based intrusion detection relies on having a software loaded on the appropriate computer servers that are being monitored. The host based intrusion detection software reads log files and other traces of intrusion in order to detect malicious activity. Typically host based intrusion detection is used for detection of internal organizational computer intrusion detection.
- Network intrusion detection methods for networking security
Network intrusion detection methods for networking security rely on monitoring network traffic either real time or thru offline logs and detecting intrusions into host computers.Network intrusion detection methods are useful typically in intrusion detection for networking security from computers external to the organization.
Intrusion detection data mining for networking security
The most important problem with intrusion detection systems for networking security is 'data overload'. A technique needs to be devised to minimize the quantity of data to be analyzed by intrusion detection systems so that the system administrators in charge of networking security can have some control over their lives and also do a decent job of intrusion detection.
Using intrusion detection data mining techniques for networking security is the only option available to make knowledge based intrusion detection easier and make the whole concept of intrusion detection for networking security more manageable
Protect yourself from viruses, hackers, and privacy threats. Download Now! Download Shield Deluxe 2005